Subject: Re: setup fision

From: Margaret Votava <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:34:31 -0500

Hi Stefano,

Stefano Belforte wrote:

> Hi Margaret,
> I am trying to install ups/upd/cvs/fision/robin/cdfvme/... on my Sun in Trieste.
> I ftp'ed the bootstrap executable (it is not loadable by clicking in netscape
> yet..) and ran it, then I did the following (typically):
> upd list fision  (to find the version)
> upd install fision v2_12b (by the way, shouldn't you have there a new version
> with the 123-bug fixed ?)

    cutting fision is a real pain. we are waiting to fix the problem of not
reporting
    a bus error in pio mode before the next release ...

>
> ups declare -c fision v2_12b

you can skip this step if you add a

            -G"-c"

to your upd install command.

>
> setup fision
> and the same for all products.
> WHen I do setup fision I get the following message:
> _delimiter: Undefined variable.
> Is it normal ?

No, you shouldn't see this. the _delimiter is a trick we use in ups called
a user defined keyword to help distinguish between NT flavors and
Unix flavors. (the delimiter character in the classpath is different
between the two flavors). This should be set in the table for all of these
products, so one of two things is happening:

    1) you are running an older version of ups that does not support
         user defined keywords (what version do you have) or
    2) the table file isn't correct for you declaration. can you send
         me the table file and  the output of "ups list -a -l fision"?

>
> I also get it for other packages (like cdfvme_common) but not e.g. for robin.
> If I can bug you a bit more, is what I am doing correct ? I browsed at length
> the documentation on web but I could not find a clear example of what to do,
> namely if install-declare-setup is all I need, if more options should be used
> etc. I downloaded the 10MB manul in postscript, but print stops after the first
> 10 pages, mauy be something in it makes it hard for an HP5Si to process, there
> are also a log of warnings runnign ghostview...
> If I read the Userguide for CDFVME Test Stand and Online Software (cdfnote
> 4624), it has no real good instructions either (it is easy to say.. get the
> package from kits...) and some strange examples of ups declare using options
> like -M and -m that are never in the examples on the web and are somehow
> confusing, are they really needed ? are they specific of cdfvme_common ? should
> I do something similar for all products ?

sorry it's confusing. it may help if you look at the ups documentation on the
web, but that's very large. a medium sized answer is that ups executes
product specific actions (like adding to your classpath) when you set it up.
these actions are defined in something  called a table file. when you declare
a product to ups, you need to tell it the name (-m) and location (-M) of the
table file, and of course there are some default locations.  when you use
upd to install products, it does the declare for you with all the appropriate
switches.  you need to worry about these switches if

        a) you are declaring a product instance by yourself (ie, not getting
             via upd)
        b) you want to set up a product instance that is NOT declared in a
             a ups database. this is a spiffy feature of ups that helps when you
             are developing products in cvs. if you have your own product with
             a table file (and the table file lives in the ups subdirectory of the
             repository) you can:

                        setup blah -r /whereever/you/checked/it/out -M ups -m
xxx.table

            and ups will do all the things as if this were declared to a database

>
> An addtional small note is that when installing ROBIN the software was so smart
> to find out that my new Ultra 5 Sun runs SunOS-5.7 and used that name in the
> ROBIN_REPOSITORY path, but that directory does not exist as the product is
> apparently only released for Solaris up to 2.6... I put the proper symbolic
> link, but likely it will not survive upgrades, who should I but to have this
> fixed at the source ?

[email-masked]. it will be jim, but it's probably not a real high priority
item.

>
> Thanks
>                         Stefano
> --
> Stefano Belforte - I.N.F.N.        tel   : +39 040 375-6261 (fax: 375-6258)
> Area di Ricerca - Padriciano 99    e-mail: [email-masked]
> 34012 TRIESTE TS  - Italy          Web   : http://www.ts.infn.it/~belforte

feel free to call ifyou want to chat ....

Margaret

--
Margaret Votava                                 [email-masked]
Computing Division/Experiment Online Support    630-840-2625 (office)
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory           630-840-6345 (fax)